Diabetes can easily be managed with a healthy lifestyle and medication, more than 90% people with diabetes have diabetes type 2 and around 10% have diabetes type 1. Living well and managing diabetes type 1 requires insulin injections, as insulin is not being produced in the body or it’s too little for body needs. With adequate diet, exercise and regular glucose monitoring you can live a fulfilling and complete life. Here are seven expert tips for managing diabetes.
- Start being active; walk your way up to the office from parking lot, take stairs, for sedentary people walking 10 minutes everyday for 3 days a week is initially recommended, you can make it up to 20-30 minutes gradually.
- Track your exercise and diabetes medication with a smartphone app, apps are useful to help you not forget the daily schedule of taking insulin and medication.
- Eat foods with low glycemic index, such as fruits and vegetables, beans, legumes, whole grains and nuts. High fiber foods keep your blood glucose in balance.
- Look for support when it comes to weight loss, consult a dietician, a health coach or work out with a partner or friend. It’s easier to lose weight with moral support available.
- Always check your toes whenever you come back from a walk or running, diabetics are more prone to skin infections in the extremities.
- Black tea can help regulate blood sugar, have healthy fats from almonds, walnuts, olive oil and avocados. And don’t forget to drink a lot of water.
- Monitor your blood glucose regularly, particularly before and after a workout.